Tuesday, September 14, 2010

It's Adventure Eve!

So here it is. A blog. About my upcoming year in the UK.

..... exciting, right?


The time is nigh, there's nowhere to go from here but WALES! It is the eve of my great Welsh adventure, and I think I'm excited? It really is hard to tell. There's all the packing, and the thinking, and the planning.... and the great abyss of unknown that I am about to walk into. But how hard could it be, really? It is just school, after all. That is something I am definitely familiar with. So what if it's in another country?

The difficult part of the going is already done: I applied, I was accepted, I wrote and scholarshipped, I graduated(!-- still exciting), I finagled some hefty loans (with some seriously stressful snags and miraculous rescues along the way), secured accommodation in a dorm, got a Visa (again with the stress and the crazy).... It's all smooth sailing from here, right? Right?? Then comes the whole "grad school" thing. But we'll burn that bridge when we come to it. For now, the going part is well underway.

The packing for a full year away in a country with vague and inconvenient weather? That's just icing on the bewildered cake:


As you can see, it's going.... I wouldn't say well, but it's going.


So tomorrow I leave, shipping out of Boston to Philly at about 5:30pm, then Philly to Jolly Olde England overnight. From there (Manchester) we take a train to Bangor which involves a change or two, putting us in my new year-long home sometime in the early afternoon, their time.

Ready, set, adventuretimego!

5 comments:

  1. First!!

    <3 you'll do awesome mini-bear. Go watch Tiger in the Ryder Cup in October, He'll be up there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yayy you're going to have so much fun! and i am going to have fun reading this! hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you get to enjoy the countryside while you slave away with your studies....and enjoying some "water of life".

    ReplyDelete
  4. UPDATE:

    The award for most efficient packing goes to....

    ME! for my performance in "Packing for Wales"

    Serious credit also due to my mother, for her superpower packing skills

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adventure is the greatest thing. Feel lucky you can experience it. Know that you have people that care and are around you to help you. Go courageously and meet the challenge of life! Learn lots, experience more, remember it all!

    Mark Donnelly

    ReplyDelete