Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Whirlwind Weekend

         There are two things to mention this week for big things that have happened a la Bangor in the past week. However, first I will follow-up on my promise to inform the public of updates on me being sick: I'm still sick.

         You might be wondering, "Wow, Elizabeth. That must have been some epic mutant viral strain if you've been sick for so very long!"   You would be wrong.  In reality, I'm pretty sure I could have been perfectly fine by now. And that is how I lead into the first of the two things I intended to talk about.

           As of yesterday afternoon, my recently-found-good-friend Gabe (from Texas) is gone. He withdrew from the university and has now left Bangor for Manchester and was on a plane home first thing this morning. It was the right thing for him to do in terms of his educational goals and where he wants to go in the future, but we're all a little broken-hearted now. Or, as the more British phrase seems to apply here, we are absolutely gutted that he's gone. Now, if you're wondering how Gabe leaving relates to me still being sick, keep reading. It will all become clear.

          Gabe broke the news Wednesday night that he withdrew and would be leaving Monday. Therefore, as a last hurrah for the man who brought us together and was the biggest partier of us all, we obviously had to do it up right. The schedule was as follows: Thursday night - Rascals (bar with plans of dance party, however the upstairs dance floor area was closed. bummer) Friday night - Octagon (club which is equally awesome and disgusting) Saturday night - Fat Cat lounge (for a calmer night of drinking) and finally Sunday night - wine party in the kitchen (an even more relaxed evening of drinking). So yes, I sacrificed any hope of getting un-sick quickly for the purpose of sending Gabe off with a fantastic party-full weekend.

It was totally worth it.

Now for the second cool thing I planned to talk about: another Castle!!!

On Saturday, Gabe and I woke up at the crack of dawn (crack being relative to a late night at Octagon) to go on another castle adventure, this time to Caernarfon. So we hopped a bus and were at a medieval era castle in no time.

This one is wayyy bigger and definitely more impressive looking than Conwy is. Rebuilt/fixed in the 1800s, it has multiple big towers each with little towers on top of those. I would definitely be intimidated if I came upon Caernarfon in the 1300s.

Unlike Conwy, there wasn't a whole lot to do in the town itself, though we did wander around a little to find a some lunch. The castle itself took quite a long time to get through anyway. (remember... you can click on the pictures to see them bigger!)




          Also, we definitely had a ghosty experience. No joke. There was this eerily dark corner that was on an outside wall onto the courtyard of the castle. Gabe and I were peering into it thinking it was some sort of hallway/passage and wondering where it went but it was as dark as a windowless basement. So I took out my phone to try to "shed some light on the situation", but it did nothing. So Gabe took out his camera to try take a picture and use the flash to see down the hall. The camera wouldn't work. At all. He'd been using his camera all day til that moment, and then suddenly it had a problem and wouldn't take a picture. Finally it did and we found that it was not, in fact, a hallway but instead just a little nook only about a foot deep. Nowhere near deep enough to merit that kind of darkness. Way creepy. We walked away quickly. Oh, and Gabe's camera was fine from that moment on..... you decide what happened. I'm sticking with ghosties.

2 comments:

  1. Nice pictures, Elizabeth! Looks like you're having a fantastic time. Hope you feel better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. More ghost stories...in the spirit of Halloween of course. I've heard they can follow you home. Spoooooooky.

    ReplyDelete