Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Shaken, not stirred

Dear faithful blogees,

In the life and times of Elizabeth, things are usually pretty calm and stable. Nothing too crazy happens. Except when it does.

Yesterday (Tuesday/Blog Day), I was working on a paper due today (Wednesday), and I had enough done that I was convinced to go out last night. It was a fun night, good times were had, yadda yadda. When I came home (early, mind you) to get a good night's sleep before finishing up and turning in my paper today, what did I find but a crashed-ish computer. Of course. Our handy dandy Eric promptly got an international phone call asking "What do I doooooooooo?!?!?!?!" to which the response was basically "wait, try again in the morning, if it's still screwed, try this." Go to sleep when my lifeline to the entire world AND the paper due the next day might be kaput? You've got to be kidding.

Anywho, I did as I was told (what choice did I have?) and went to sleep. This morning, I woke and was wide awake wayy earlier than normal and I tested the waters - nope, computer still screwed. This is the part where I panic. It was still early to call anyone, and Dan, my trusty Bangor-located nerd, was going to have to help me with Eric's Plan B of burning and running the computer off of a OS cd which may or may not be able to recover my data from my own hard drive and thenImighthavetostartalloveronmypaperthatsdueTODAYOMGWHATAMIGONNADO

Lucky for me, I resorted to drastic measures. I shook the computer. And you know what? It worked.

So here's to all y'all geeks and nerds who use techy lingo and makes things all better when machines break, but you know what? The layman's way WORKS! So go ahead, smack your dashboard when something somewhere is rattling, kick the vending machine so it'll give you what you want, and when in doubt, shake your computer.

4 comments:

  1. You and I both know that a. sometimes you can smack the dashboard and it stops rattling and b. sometimes you can put one hand on the radio, one hand out the window, and get perfect reception! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was hoping you'd get the reference to the old Sub :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool Story Bro:

    My laptop stopped working about a week after getting to Japan. Like, funky screwed up graphics, wouldn't boot up, wouldn't anything. I was pissed, but I mean, I was in Japan, what was I gonna do? So I left it. Tried it about once every day or two. One night, I got piss-ass drunk, came back, hit the power-button EXTRA HARD. And lo! It turned on fine, worked like a charm, and nothing was wrong. Nothing like that has ever happened since.

    The moral of the story? Alcohol fixes all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've discovered the secret of all IT pros...sometimes brute force (and luck) is the answer.

    ReplyDelete