Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Wales Day

In like a lion? Not yet, March. Hopefully not at all. How about in like a lamb? This first day of the month though was beautiful- clear skies and sunny. In Wales??, you exclaim! Why yes, miracles DO happen. And it's only fitting because today, March 1st, is Saint David's Day. If you visited Google.com today, you might have noticed a little costume and flower on the second 'g' of the logo. Why is this relevant? Well, Saint David just happens to be the patron saint of Wales. Hence the daffodil on the logo (official flower of Wales). I'm not going to go on about it though, because I would only be spouting what I just read off of Wikipedia as I wrote, so instead I'll just throw you the link and save us all the trouble of my poor story-telling: Saint David's Day

In other news, I got crapped on by a seagull the other day. Personally, I don't find this particularly entertaining or blog-worthy but my dear Catrin thought otherwise. So here's the deal. One bright unassuming Thursday afternoon, Catrin, Dan and I set out to deal with some academic errands after a lecture. Having found Gareth (our trusty PhD consumer guru) busy, we decided to wait outside in the sunshine til he was free. I think I got too cocky about the sky being clear and bright in Wales, because it crapped on me. By it, I mean the seagull in the sky. And by on me, I mean on my nice new leather jacket which I love so dearly. Not cool, bird. Not cool. After a moment of shock and despair, we hustled inside so I could try to clean my poor jacket with the assistance of Cat handing me tissue while bravely managing her sensitive gag reflex to gross things. Fortunately it wasn't too messy so I got it off and later disinfected the bejeezus out of my jacket when I got home. I will never look at that jacket the same way again.

Following this "Elizabeth got crapped on" incident, there was some discussion of whether or not it is lucky to have a bird poo on you. I've always sort of felt that that's what you tell the person who got crapped on to make them feel better, meanwhile you're pleased as punch that it didn't happen to you. However, I might be coming around to the idea of lucky bird shit, because something amazing has happened.....(drumroll please).....

Ta-da! Much to our surprise and great pleasure, our ethics application has finally come through for our thesis project. This means that we can officially move on and begin testing, once we get our study description submitted on SONA (the university's participant panel) and people start signing up.

So far March is off to a good start. Sunshine and ethics approval. What more could you want from the first day of the month?

3 comments:

  1. "This means that we can officially move on and begin testing, once we get our study description submitted on SONA (the university's participant panel) and people start signing up."

    I read that as "submit on SONFABITCH", and I laughed.

    Besides that, OMG GRATS.

    Now that I'm large I eat five dozen eggs so I'm roughly the size of a BAAAAARRRRGE!

    Also, my captcha was "shit"... go figure

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your friend convinced you to include the story... it made me lol :) Oh and yay for being ethical!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That has cheered me right up! :) It was a weird bird crap, there is a seagull in Wales with a severe gastrointestinal problem!

    ReplyDelete