Tuesday, June 7, 2011

In the Shire (Cambridgeshire)

Breaking news...... I'm 23!

In honor of this momentous(?) occasion, I had a much-anticipated visit from my dear Catrin :) Arriving on Thursday afternoon, we had a whole long weekend of shenanigans to get up to, beginning with a little night out on the town for my birthday.

Now, I hope you haven't gotten too excited and forgotten that I am, in fact, still in Bangor. Therefore, said night on the town only involved getting a drink or two out at the Greek with Diego, and then us two girls heading off to Octagon to get our dance on despite our usual disinclination to set foot in the place.

On Friday, our grand plans to go take the neat little train up to the peak of Snowdonia were thwarted when we discovered that it costs £25 (about $40) each. Ridiculous for something we could technically walk for free. Due to the fact that neither of us had appropriate footwear for such an endeavor and that we just didn't feel like it, we went to the movies instead. The new Pirates... in 3D, no less.

After the movie (which was super fun, by the way) we set off for Cambridge/ Guilden Morden where Cat lives. We had a chilled evening of dinner and hanging, and made our plans for Saturday: punting! For those who don't know what punting is, think Venice but Britishier. It involves a shallow boat, a long stick, and, if you don't feel like going for a swim, an experienced and non-clumsy punt-er/guide.



 
We had a lovely day after a relaxing tour down the river, walking around the city, having a picnic lunch, people-watching, and of course doing a little shopping. The next day, however, was the most exciting of all. We went to a safari park!!! Basically a zoo that you drive around, the animals are pretty much free to wander around and occasionally block traffic. As in bears that wander in front of your car and monkeys that jump on your roof. It's pretty awesome. Let me warn you now that I took about 200 pictures in the park. I tried to be selective here with what I'd post, but it was just so hard to choose! Massive facebook album to follow.




 (So that's what those spare tires are for)

Cat really likes that last one of the giraffes. She thinks it's artsy. I'd like to say I did that on purpose, but really it was an accident that the camera focused on the raindrops on the car window instead of what was behind it.
So that was my weekend. Took an early train home from London on Monday morning in time to do nothing much of note this week (that I know of so far). But maybe something will come up that'll give me something to tell you about next week. If not, then I could always just show you more pictures of monkeys on cars :) I know I just can't get enough...

1 comment:

  1. The Octagon looks crazy, I wanna go.

    I think that the awesomeness of the safari park:

    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_l2VT7bYUEaY/TR9rmtqX_TI/AAAAAAAAQd8/5vPeBFIrLN4/s1600/that-point-bears-repeating.jpg

    BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

    ReplyDelete